Risk Management / Claims

Filing a Claim Against the City

The City of Clinton is a member of the Iowa Communities Assurance Pool (ICAP). ICAP is specifically responsible for the administration of claims on behalf of the City of Clinton. Therefore, each claim received by the City is submitted to ICAP for a determination of liability, and to handle the adjustment and payment, if any, for the claim.

Under the City's insurance certificate, no City employee is authorized to accept liability on behalf of ICAP. An ICAP representative will contact you to discuss the facts of the claim and determine what, if any, liability exists. The filing of a claim is in no way acceptance of liability.

Personal Injury & Property Damage Claims

A claim can be considered only after it is filed in writing with the City. Fill out the Liability Claim Form (PDF) (under Finance Department section) and send the completed form, along with any supporting documentation to:
City of Clinton
P.O. Box 2958
611 S 3rd Street
Clinton, IA 52733-2958
Attn: Finance Department

Supporting documentation would include two estimates for any property damage-related claims or copies of medical bills for personal injury claims.

Your claim cannot be considered until all necessary information has been received in order to allow claims administration to perform a thorough investigation of the facts of the claim. Because of the procedures that must be followed, some time must elapse between the filing and final disposition of your claim. Please be assured that as soon as you provide the necessary information, your claim will be promptly considered and you will receive a response on your claim.

If you have any questions or would like more information, please call 563-242-2144 (select Finance Department from option menu).