Retail Alcohol Licenses

New retail alcohol licenses and renewals are handled electronically by the Iowa Alcoholic Beverages Division and also require paperwork to be submitted to the City Clerk’s office. The processes for new retail alcohol applications, retail alcohol renewal applications, temporary outdoor service areas and permanent outdoor service areas are outlined below.

Please note, electronic submission and online payment is preferred and results in a quicker processing time. Applicants are encouraged to email City Clerk completed applications and receipt of online payment. Please do not include SSNs on forms when submitting via email. 

If you intend to mail a completed application and check please mail to: City Clerk's Office, City Hall, P.O. Box 2958, Clinton, IA 52733-2958.

All applications must be approved by the City Council and new applications must be presented first to the Council's Committee of the Whole meeting and then to a regular City Council meeting.

 All the following steps must be completed at least 30 days prior to the intended opening date:

1. Complete and submit a retail alcohol license application (PDF) to the City Clerk’s office.

2. Complete and submit the DCI background check form (PDF) to the City Clerk's office. 

3. If the establishment will serve alcohol for on-premises consumption, an Application for Exemption (PDF) from Ordinance No. 2606 must be completed.

4. If the property is owned by the applicant, a copy of the warranty deed must accompany the application submitted to the Clerk's office. If the property is leased by the applicant, a copy of the lease agreement between the owner and the applicant must accompany the application submitted to the Clerk's office. 

5. Complete an application on the Iowa Alcoholic Beverages Division’s website.

6. Receive approval from the Police Department, Fire Department, Building and Neighborhood Services Department and the Iowa Department of Inspections and Appeals and submit approval to the City Clerk’s office.

7. Once all the previous steps have been completed and the license is listed as “Submitted to Local Authority” on the Iowa Alcoholic Beverages Division’s website, then the application will be placed on the next agenda of the Council’s Committee of the Whole meeting.

8. After receiving approval at the Committee of the Whole meeting, the application is forwarded for final approval at the next City Council meeting.

9. After approval is received at the City Council meeting, the application is approved on the Iowa Alcoholic Beverages Division’s website by the City Clerk and the process is completed with the City.

10. The Iowa Alcoholic Beverages Division emails all retail alcohol licenses to the licensee to the email address submitted with the online application. It is the responsibility of the licensee to print and post their license in their establishment.

11. If an establishment serves alcohol and applied for a Letter of Exemption, the Clerk's office will mail the completed Letter of Exemption form to the licensee. The licensee must post the Letter of Exemption in their establishment.

Note: For information on I-PACT, TIPS or Servsafe training, please visit: I-PACT